The Otorohanga RSA provides welfare and support assistance for ex servicemen and servicewomen, their partners and dependent family members, so they can continue to live in dignity and with respect.

To see if you or someone you know is eligible for support services, contact Ray Terrill, (Pensions and Welfare Advisor)

You May Be Entitled

Many of you may be receiving a War Disablement Pension for certain conditions, such as Hearing Loss and Tinnitus. It is important, however, to ensure you are actually receiving your full entitlements, some of which may go beyond hearing and the like.

It is our aim to ensure that you do draw your full entitlement(s) in all cases.

So, what conditions might qualify? If you have had War or Emergency Service, there is a considerable list that may be accepted as attributable to or aggravated by that service. Because conditions for acceptance can differ from applicant to applicant and theatre to theatre, it’s not possible to set out a comprehensive list here – it is too long and varied for that.


The good news is, however, that RSA Pensions and Welfare Advisors are well versed in the conditions that may be applied for and are very willing to advise you. It is important that you talk with them because some conditions are related to others and it would be fruitless to apply for every condition you may have when this situation occurs. It's also the case that applying for “everything” in the hope that “something” will stick can clog up the system. This can cause delays both for you and for others, which is frustrating for everybody. Once again your friendly RSA Pensions and Welfare Advisor can help you sort out the wood from the trees.


Surviving spouses of deceased veterans may be able to apply for a pension also. Because evidence can be lost or misplaced as time goes by, however, sometimes this process can become quite complicated. Here, too, you should seek advice from your RSA Pensions and Welfare Advisor.

Veterans’ Pension
This is often confused with the War Disablement Pension. One way to think of it is as another form of NZ Superannuation – the pension is the same but with some advantages. These include a larger Funeral grant if you qualify. Also an automatic Community Services card and, should you have to remain in Hospital for 13 weeks or more, the Veterans’ Pension is still paid at the full rate.

To qualify for a Veterans’ pension you need to be over 65 years of age and be on a War Disablement pension of 70% or more. Or you may qualify at less than 65 years of age if you have served in a recognised war or emergency and are unable to work for a substantial period due to either a physical or psychological disability, refer to Veterans’ Affairs New Zealand.

A Surviving Spouse pension may be payable to the Widow(er) or Partner of a Veteran who is on the Veterans’ Pension provided that certain conditions are met. Again seek the advice of your RSA Pensions and Welfare Advisor.

Waikato/King Country/ Bay of Plenty District RNZRSA